Monday, January 24, 2011

Cashew Chicken

Last summer, we had really good cashew chicken from Panda Express (which you are more than welcome to judge me for if you feel so compelled, but I like what I like. And you are probably a food snob). I decided that it couldn't possibly be too difficult to duplicate at home. Wrong-ish. The sauce copycat recipes I found online all sucked (hoisin sauce...disgusting) so I decided to just use some bottled sauce. And it turned out to be really, really good.

So here's my thoroughly modified version of Panda's cashew chicken:

Ingredients
1 pound of chicken breasts
2-3 red, yellow or orange bell peppers (I use a combination)
1 large white onion
3-4 stalks of celery
1 can of sliced water chestnuts
1 bunch of cilantro (my clump of leaves are about the size of both of my fists together, so kind of a lot)
4-6 green onion stalks (to taste)
1 cup (or less) of cashews or cashew pieces
1 clove garlic, minced

Directions
(If you're having rice, start that now.)
  • Cut the chicken into half-inch cubes (or bigger, they just take longer to cook). Heat some vegetable oil in a pan on the stovetop and cook the chicken.
  • Chop your vegetables. I cut the peppers and onions into squares. Onions are easiest to cut into squares if you 1) cut off both ends, 2) set it on one of the now-flat ends, 3) make three slices through the onion, from 12 to 6, 2 to 8 and 10 to 4 (like a clock), 4) lay each half on its flat side without separating the pieces and cut that in half.
  • Heat some veggie oil in your largest pan and add the white onion, pepper, celery and water chestnuts. Stir-fry on high heat.
  • Once veggies are cooked but still crisp, back off the heat and add chopped cilantro, chopped green onion, chicken and minced garlic. Mix it all up and heat through.
  • Add sauce to taste and serve over rice.
This also makes a killer leftover lunch. Which is exactly what inspired me to share the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment