Saturday, December 4, 2010

Favorites: mugs

I do not believe in extensive, rambling mug collections, wherein the size of the collection is only rivaled by the randomness of its contents. (Usually they fall into three categories: the long-ago-attended event--"1994 Hoffman Estates Park District Fishing Derby," the organization that thinks mugs are a good way to build loyalty--"Bob's Discount Car World," and semi-cheesy sayings--"I Don't Do Mornings." That last category is frequently found in tourist-trap shops while you're on vacation. Don't let your guard down. They're not really that clever.)

But I believe that everyone should have a favorite mug. It should have a happy memory tied to it or an outside that just makes you smile. And since you'll likely be using your mug on days that are somewhat less than happy to begin with, making it extra large is good, too.
That is my favorite mug. It is gigantic: two cups of coffee only fill the bottom three fingers of the mug. It has one of my favorite flowers, the geranium, painted on the side, and it was acquired in one of those happy coincidences that involve TJ Maxx and something great on clearance for pocket change. The funky shape is not my favorite, but I happily accept it due to all its other wonderful attributes.

Anyone else have a favorite mug?

1 comment:

  1. My favorite mug was the mug my roommate gave me for Christmas from Starbucks one year. It had cute little blue and green trees on it. And then it fell to its death in the fall of 2007. I have missed it ever since...

    Now my favorite mug is the one my sister found in Salt Lake City while looking for a Salt Lake City mug at a thrift shop that says "Pole, Pedal, Paddle Race. Bend, Oregon 1989." It's especially cool because its from a Bend pottery shop and is super awesome looking.

    ReplyDelete